Monday, April 13, 2009

First Post from Belize!

Well, here I am, I've made it! I'm in Corozal, Belize.
The journey here was relatively uneventful. Two plane rides and a 5 hour drive through Mexico (including a pit stop to use a bathroom with out TP or a toilet seat...HA). I didn't get to see much of Cancun (sorry, Todd, I don't have much to report on that)
The town of Corozal is small and laid back.
Our first night we went out to eat (Rice & Beans, Plantains, Stewed Chicken, and Potato Salad... MMMMmmmmm....)
We also did a bit of grocery shopping (fruit, juice, eggs and salsa [the essentials]).
We figured out how to turn the a/c on (and subsequently flooded our apartment over night, but got it cleaned up! )
The first full day (Easter) we went to Church and laid out and swam at our Murray State person's hotel (she's only here a few days) and then went out to eat again (Fried Fish & Chips, salad).
I'm so glad I'm drinking caffeine again, it's wonderful!
Today we painted a preschool and after this we're going to explore the town I think.
I don't have a lot of time to post (this costs money, ya know :-) ) so here is a list of thoughts:
OMG the heat (but it's not so bad)
The gecko that lives in our apartment is named LiveText.
Spanish TV is hilarious.
I get more channels here than I do in Murray (the one time I turned the TV on)
Coffee here is great.
The water to shower in is actually warm at times, which is nice.
I definitely didn't over pack like I thought I did. I spend most of my time in tank tops and shorts.
The people are really nice.
The food is amazing.
I love it here.
I start teaching at the community college (really the high school) next week.
Sorry for the lack of pictures (Yay dial up!)
This weekend we're going to some Mayan Ruins and Chetumal (sp?) Mexico to hang out I believe.

<3, Amy

2 comments:

  1. I am SOO glad you like it. This post is definitely cracking me up! But its totally you. Cant wait to see you in four weeks! :) Keep me (and everyone) updated as you can. Ly! :)

    PS- Tell LiveText I said heeeyyy! lol.

    ReplyDelete
  2. AH! I'm so jealous! I'm glad you made it safely and are having a good time thus far!

    Anecdote time: When I went to Cancun in high school, when Jacob and I got to our hotel room and turned on the TV, the first show we saw was Alias. It was still in English, but (obviously) with Spanish subtitles. We thought that was funny, but then we watched the episode. We also had a gecko, but, alas, he went nameless. I guess he could've been called, "OMGZ, WHAT THE HELL IS THAT CRAWLING ACROSS OUR WALL?! IS THAT A TARANTULA?!" (it was dark), but, you know, that's long.

    Anyway, enjoy yourself! Go to Tulum if you get the chance! It's amazing!

    ReplyDelete